CGEAN was established in 1970 as the Council on Graduate Education for Administration in Nursing as a formal organization dedicated to collegial relationships and intellectual exchange among nurse educators whose focus was nursing administration at the graduate level. CGEAN has now evolved to an organization with over 200 members and an expanded focus on nursing administration and leadership education and research at both the graduate and undergraduate level. To reflect this expanded scope, CGEAN is no longer referred to as the Council on Graduate Education for Administration in Nursing, but simply as CGEAN with the tag line “Advancing Leadership Education and Research for Nurses”.
Today, CGEAN claims a wide span of influence on nursing leadership and administration research and educational standards through its many ongoing activities:
• Membership from both academic and practice settings
• Affiliate with the American Organization of Nurse Executives
• Sponsorship of the biennial International Nursing Administration Research Conference (INARC)
• Regular columns in the Journal of Nursing Administration
• Annual research awards that support work to enrich and inform nursing leadership practice and education
• Position statements on educational standards for nursing administration and leadership